Minor suggestion

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
KE5FX

Minor suggestion

Post by KE5FX »

Having your installer nuke everything in the target directory, including files the user placed there, is somewhat nonstandard in the Windows world, just FYI.
jynik

Re: Minor suggestion

Post by jynik »

Thanks for the heads up!

Could you elaborate on which files of yours where removed and where they resided, just so that we can consider than when looking at the uninstall logic? I know that usually some MATLAB-generated files from the install will get left behind -- I'm wondering if trying to clean those up is what is overzealous...
KE5FX

Post by KE5FX »

jynik wrote:Thanks for the heads up!

Could you elaborate on which files of yours where removed and where they resided, just so that we can consider than when looking at the uninstall logic? I know that usually some MATLAB-generated files from the install will get left behind -- I'm wondering if trying to clean those up is what is overzealous...
In this particular case, one or two .bat files that I wrote to use as shortcuts for bladerf-cli.exe went away. They had filenames like t.bat.

The usual practice for Windows installers is to remove nothing except the files that they put there. There are exceptions here and there but they're tough to justify, IMHO.

BTW, should I have a bladerf_winflasher.exe anywhere? The Wiki mentions it at https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/wiki/U ... F-firmware but I don't see it anywhere in the current Windows distro.
jynik

Post by jynik »

Hi KE5FX,

Thanks for sharing your use-case. The installer framework is supposed to operate as you described to be the de facto standard... provided one only lists files themselves as uninstall targets. Based on the behavior you describe, it must be that we have an entire directory listed...

Do you recall which directory the shortcuts were in? That might help track down the overzealous uninstall target...

That bladerf_winflasher.exe hasn't existed in quite some time -- I will fix the wiki to remove that. It was removed because the bladeRF-cli already has the ability to flash firmware.
KE5FX

Post by KE5FX »

jynik wrote:Do you recall which directory the shortcuts were in? That might help track down the overzealous uninstall target...
In this case I'd installed it to c:\dev\bladerf and put my batch files in the x64 subdirectory, alongside the various executables.
jynik

Post by jynik »

Thanks -- will add that to the TODO list for furture revs.

By the way -- fantastic work on the GPIB toolkit! (Thought that callsign looked familiar... ;) )
KE5FX

Post by KE5FX »

jynik wrote:Thanks -- will add that to the TODO list for furture revs.

By the way -- fantastic work on the GPIB toolkit! (Thought that callsign looked familiar... ;) )
Thanks! It's an amusing collection of hacks, all right.

I've had this board since your original Kickstarter campaign, but have only just now started to play with it. Complaints about MIA batch files notwithstanding, I've really been impressed at how accessible and readable/modifiable your code and HDL is. bladerf-cli is great in particular -- it's rare to see SDR projects based on simple platform-independent console apps instead of layers of weird scripts and "innovative" GUIs with homebrew flow graphs or whatever. It's almost like an honorary GPIB Toolkit component. 8-)

I also have a couple of other questions, will start another thread for them.
KE5FX

Post by KE5FX »

Any thoughts on this? I may have asked in the wrong section.