OpenBTS

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
dk5ras

Re: OpenBTS

Post by dk5ras »

IS there any success visible in getting OpenBTS to work with the BladeRF? I will have to show a demonstration soon, and the USRP1 is a bit bulky when being on travel :)

Ralph.
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

The current limitation on running the software is the guarantee of timestamping of samples.

This requires an FPGA change to both read and insert the sample number with the IQ datastream and to extract that same data from the received samples.

Once this is done, I've been told that it becomes relatively simple to support OpenBTS. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten to this point yet. It's a big hope for October that we can get it up, running and have OpenBTS working right out of the box.
dk5ras

Post by dk5ras »

OK, this sounds quite good. I see that the prebuilt fpga images have not changed for a while. Is it recommended to build it from the latest sources, or does this not make any noticeable difference in normal usage? I fear installing this Quartus monster :-)

Ralph.
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

It's always recommended to build from the latest sources. I understand that Quartus is a bit of a beast, but a necessary thing to install if you wish to build the source.

I am in the process of refactoring the HDL as long as I can get enough time away from the host side of things to test it all out, and get the simulation models up and running. Hopefully more HDL work can be done this weekend.

Post if you have issues or other FPGA questions. It might be better to open a new post if they are not OpenBTS specific, though.
bnt2025

Post by bnt2025 »

What about getting it working with OpenBSC? Would there still be the same problem?
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Yes - I'm talking with the osmocom folks mostly on a daily basis to try to build in support. Slowly but surely we will get there. The software is full duplex and requires the timestamps to ensure the software can recover in the case of an underflow on the transmit side.

I have had a thought of trying to fake that part out for now, just to see if I could get it working but other developments have so far stopped me.

Getting a GSM basestation solution running out of the box is extremely important to us and is our top priority after getting the software platforms stable.
bnt2025

Post by bnt2025 »

That's good news then. Is there anything I can help with?
I don't really have any experience in C++. Is there any indications on how long it will take?

Thanks
Ash
dk5ras

Post by dk5ras »

Any news regarding OpenBTS? I'd be happy to test it if there already some pre version has been built...

Ralph.
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

New FPGA code has been written which is a refactoring of what was currently in there. I like it better.

We're implementing the VRT/timestamps right now. We are targeting the end of December for timestamping working completely and OpenBTS being able to use them at that same time.

Sorry for the long delay. Things should hopefully be better during the winter and with all the holidays.
dk5ras

Post by dk5ras »

Great, looking forward to this!

Will it be integrated into the normal public repo at rangenetworks, or is some special BladeRF-OpenBTS fork established?

Ralph.
bnt2025

Post by bnt2025 »

Would the same also apply to OpenBSC? Really looking forward to this!

Many thanks
Bnt2025
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

I am not awfully familiar with OpenBSC but it seems like it needs some timestamping capabilities as well. I will try to clear it up with the Osmo folks as to what they need for that, but I would imagine whatever OpenBTS needs this would be able to leverage as well.
Montezuma

Post by Montezuma »

bpadalino wrote:I am not awfully familiar with OpenBSC but it seems like it needs some timestamping capabilities as well. I will try to clear it up with the Osmo folks as to what they need for that, but I would imagine whatever OpenBTS needs this would be able to leverage as well.
A BSC is a parent to multiple BTSs. So, with open BSC, people can setup more complicated cellular networks.
bnt2025

Post by bnt2025 »

Hello,

the board has been pretty quiet on this front recently. How is the development going?

Many thanks
dk5ras

Post by dk5ras »

Have a look here:

http://www.nuand.com/blog/

Ralph.