output power question

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
andrew77

output power question

Post by andrew77 »

Hello,
I've tested the blade through professional equipment (spectrum analyzer, power meter and power sensor bolometric) and using osmocom-siggen I have the following questions:

The maximum output power when I generate a single frequency such as a sinusoidal CW frequency is around 20 mW @ 900 MHz, but if I generate a noise or a Gaussian noise the output power is quite lower than a single CW frequency (at the same frequency and the same Sample rate, 20 M), this power increase if I set a full band (28 MHz) but anyway this is much lower (around 0,5 mW!!)
How it is possible? How is the frequency generated in case of noise?

Regards
robert.ghilduta

Re: output power question

Post by robert.ghilduta »

Noise is not predictable so by definition the output of the system should be uniformly distributed between 0% and 100% (assuming white noise). This means that the average power of your noise is going to be 50% of your peak power, which is what you measured when transmitting a CW. Your VSA should still see a peak power of 20mW except it will only see it 1% of the time. This 50% reduction in average power translates to a 3dB power loss. Another issue you might be the bandwidth of your noise source. I would suggest ensuring that the 28MHz LPF is enabled, otherwise you might be feeding things into the transit PA that are way out of its bound of operation.
mitesh

Post by mitesh »

Hello,
Currently, I am using bladeRF 2.0 micro xA9 model and I want to check transmitted noise signal power. how can I check it and how much strong noise can produce using this module?
flamegrin

Post by flamegrin »

The noise source's bandwidth can also be a problem. If the 28 MHz LPF isn't activated, you can be feeding items into the transit PA that aren't intended for that frequency range.