Control the XB_GPIO-100 board

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
phuhai1212

Control the XB_GPIO-100 board

Post by phuhai1212 »

Hi all,
I'm doing a project using bladeRF x40, connected to XB-100. I am based on bladeRF-hosted file, I want to control the xb_gpio pins to get the signal out through the J2, J3, J4, J5, J11 and J12 headers. I know first need to set the direction for these ports as the output. I found the nios_gpio, nios_xb_gpio_in, nios_xb_gpio_out, nios_xb_gpio_dir and xb_gpio_dir signals in bladeRF-hosted. However, I do not know the function of each of these signals, so I do not know how to control it.
Can anyone help me?
Thank,
Hai
bglod

Re: Control the XB_GPIO-100 board

Post by bglod »

nios_gpio is a general-purpose I/O controlled by a PIO core connected to the Nios soft processor. This PIO bus controls system configuration stuff like resets, RF switches, etc. Bits 31:30 control the mode of the expansion header. These bits are set automatically when you use the bladeRF-cli (or libbladeRF) to enable the expansion board you are using (XB-100 in this case).

nios_xb_gpio_in, nios_xb_gpio_out, and nios_xb_gpio_dir (xb_gpio_dir) are similar to nios_gpio except that these are internal signals that go between a (different) PIO core connected to the Nios and the actual physical signals going over the expansion header. The _dir signal controls whether the pins are inputs or outputs. Note that xb_gpio_dir is the same as nios_xb_gpio_dir. There is a re-assignment to xb_gpio_dir in case the xb_mode dictates it for whatever reason.

exp_gpio is the top-level bus representing the physical I/O pins that are routed between the FPGA and the expansion header. Note that these pins are designated as "inout" in bladerf.vhd. They are therefore bidirectional and are physically implemented in the FPGA as a tri-state buffer. A good FPGA design will split the "inout" into discrete buses: inputs, outputs, and an output_enable before it is used within the FPGA fabric. The output_enable control in this case is the xb_gpio_dir and it controls whether the FPGA's output driver is actively driving the pin, or if it is tri-stated (high-impedance / "disconnected"), allowing the FPGA to read the value being driven by some other device connected to the pin.

Now ... with all that said, the PIO core that reads/writes these GPIO from the Nios is not intended to be used with rapidly changing signals. If you want to do that, there are a few things you can do. If you don't need the slow PIO stuff from the Nios at all, you can just get rid of it and control exp_gpio directly in the HDL. If you will only be outputting the fast signal, you could modify the exp_gpio output assignment to the signal you want to send out. Another option is to change the top-level direction to "out" and directly drive the bus as an output only so you don't have to worry about the tristate buffer stuff. Just be careful about the input-only pins of the XB-100 (switches and push buttons).

These options work just as well for using the expansion header as an input bus, but remember that a fast input signal cannot be read by the PIO -- you'd have to send it to the FX3 GPIF via the RX FIFO (or some other facility that you'd have to implement). Likewise, be careful about which pins you're using because some are not designed to be used as inputs (e.g. LEDs).

That was probably way more detailed than you wanted. :)
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
phuhai1212

Re: Control the XB_GPIO-100 board

Post by phuhai1212 »

That's exactly what I need. I've been controlling xb_gpio using VHDL.
Thank you very much.