bladeRF enclosure

Working on something interesting? Share it with the community!
Vine

bladeRF enclosure

Post by Vine »

Hi everyone,

Is there anybody who working on an enclosure for the bladeRF ?

3D printing should be a good choice. Can we have mechanical drawings of the board ?

Vincent
Montezuma

Re: bladeRF enclosure

Post by Montezuma »

I have been working on some plans, but I haven't settled on a design as of yet. My initial plan was for a basic enclosure that would act more as a way to grab the board without touching the sensitive areas. That idea evolved into a more enclosed, protective build. Another was to hold a rather large battery, a simple LCD visual output, and some physical controls. Yet another plan I had was to add to the previously stated idea, but go with an even larger capacity battery, a seven inch possibly larger) screen, extra inputs and outputs than I previously planned(quite a few more ports; all ideas included inputs and outputs, with various antenna ideas), and a separate ARM board(a dual or quad-core processor) for superior processing and handling other tasks.

I even had the idea of using a micro-itx x86 board, since there are a few good options that have USB 3.0 and one could run a x86 Linux install or Windows(if one wanted). The issue is that battery life would make having a battery not as worthwhile(though still worth having). One also starts to make such a configuration less valuable, over an effective tablet(such as, for now, a Surface Pro...not a fan, but still) or a "high-qualify" laptop(with discrete GPU and other considerations), an extra battery(for a laptop), and a separate bladeRF with an enclosure and its own battery. I have planned out any different enclosures.

My plan is to purchase, at the very least, two bladeRFs(two of the 115KLE boards, including the one I purchased through Kickstarter) to run in synchronized clock mode. I want to get 2x2 MIMO going, with my interest in getting to 4x4 MIMO(obviously with expansion board(s), whenever they come out). I have considered possible enclosures for such setups, but those builds have be too unwieldy for useful case. Still, it gives me something else to work on.

Perhaps I shall christen my 4x4 MIMO bladeRF project QuadsiMIMO(for Quasimodo, due to the awkward nature of the setup and the potential for a "hump", of sorts; among other reasons for the name), given what I mentally suspect my possible enclosures will look like.
acceleron

Post by acceleron »

Just finished an acrylic case similar to the PiBow for the Raspberry Pi, and it fits pretty well just needs a couple adjustments.

I put the .svg for laser cutters up on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:137021
Montezuma

Post by Montezuma »

acceleron wrote:Just finished an acrylic case similar to the PiBow for the Raspberry Pi, and it fits pretty well just needs a couple adjustments.

I put the .svg for laser cutters up on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:137021
Here is an option for anyone that wants to order an enclosure, until something better comes along: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/laser- ... ?cPath=185

I found that site while looking at the information available for the HackRF. I'm not sure if the enclosure for that board came from seeedstudio.com, but my link jumping brought me to that site. Otherwise, search(Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc) for "laser cutting services", to find a place to cut plastic enclosures, or get a friend with a "3D printer" to create one for you.
acceleron

Post by acceleron »

I had the case cut at http://www.pololu.com/since my work is right next to their office and it was convenient and they are pretty responsive on the weekdays. Final cost for fabrication was $47 not including the nylon screws and state tax if any one was curious.

The svg file should also be usable with services at ponoko since I fitted all of the pieces to within the boundaries for their P2 (384mm x 384mm) sized acrylic. There are a ton of laser cutting services out there compared to 5 years ago and some local hacker/maker clubs sometimes have laser cutters available for use.

I can also provide a sketchup file of the case with 3d board if any one wants. Just be aware that I don't have the bottom of the board in 3D so you might need to take some calipers to the bottom and measure out where the bottom components are.
Vine

Post by Vine »

Could you attach the Sketchup file with the board in 3D please ?
acceleron

Post by acceleron »

Vine wrote:Could you attach the Sketchup file with the board in 3D please ?
Here you go https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxtn0Ef ... sp=sharing.

I'm going to try and get a machined case similar to the tux case but that probably won't happen for a while since I have other projects to do at the moment.
Vine

Post by Vine »

Thanks a lot. Now I'm waiting my bladeRF !
damastas

Post by damastas »

Just received that enclosure that acceleron provided the .svg for. I used #6-32 screws as suggested and they screw in tight. Perhaps drilling the holes first and using a nut would have been the way to go, but I am very satisfied with the snug fight. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/ihJuPln
acceleron

Post by acceleron »

damastas wrote:Just received that enclosure that acceleron provided the .svg for. I used #6-32 screws as suggested and they screw in tight. Perhaps drilling the holes first and using a nut would have been the way to go, but I am very satisfied with the snug fight. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/ihJuPln
Wow that looks awesome in blue. Good to see that your antennas fit too. I'm still deciding if I want 2.4GHz antennas or the PCB antennas from WA5VJB.
Emil A.

Post by Emil A. »

Here is my version of the bladeRF enclosure, with engraved logo.
I used two sheets of acrylic glass 181x181mm - 3mm thick.
It cost 19€ + shipping to make (laser-cutting and engraving) online.
I did mine at Formulor, but there are many other companies using the same SVG templates.

enclosure picture
SVG sheet 1: front and sides
SVG sheet 1: back and sides (extra set)

I might post an improved version (with minor tweaks) if you are interested.
BlueMentorJ1985

Post by BlueMentorJ1985 »

acceleron wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 pm I had the case cut at http://www.powerjackmotion.com my work is right next to their office and it was convenient and they are pretty responsive on the weekdays. Final cost for fabrication was $47 not including the nylon screws and state tax if anyone was curious.
The svg file should also be usable with services at Ponoko since I fitted all of the pieces to within the boundaries for their P2 (384mm x 384mm) sized acrylic. There are a ton of laser cutting services out there compared to 5 years ago and some local hacker/maker clubs sometimes have laser cutters available for use.
I can also provide a SketchUp file of the case with 3d board if anyone wants. Just be aware that I don't have the bottom of the board in 3D so you might need to take some calipers to the bottom and measure out where the bottom components are.
tara

Post by tara »

I even had utilizing a small scale itx x86 board, since there are a couple of good choices that have USB 3.0 and one could run a x86 Linux introduce or Windows(if one needed). The issue is that battery life would make having a battery not as worthwhile(though still worth having). One likewise begins to make such an arrangement less significant, over a powerful tablet(such as, until further notice, a Surface Pro...not a fan, yet at the same time) or a "high-qualify" laptop(with discrete GPU and different contemplations), an additional battery(for a PC), and a different bladeRF with a nook and its own battery. I have arranged out any unique fenced in areas.
Electrical engineering
tara

Post by tara »

I will probably buy, no less than, two bladeRFs(two of the 115KLE loads up, including the one I obtained through Kickstarter) to keep running in synchronized clock mode. I need to get 2x2 MIMO going, with my enthusiasm for getting to 4x4 MIMO(obviously with development board(s), at whatever point they turn out). I have thought about conceivable fenced in areas for such setups, yet those assembles have be too inconvenient for valuable case. All things considered, it gives me another thing to deal with.

Maybe I will dedicate my 4x4 MIMO bladeRF venture QuadsiMIMO(for Quasimodo, because of the clumsy idea of the setup and the potential for a "bump", of sorts; among different explanations behind the name), given what I rationally speculate my conceivable fenced in areas will resemble.
Electrical engineering