Anyone tried a point-to-point internet connection?

Off topic threads and discussions
Montezuma

Anyone tried a point-to-point internet connection?

Post by Montezuma »

Has anyone attempted to build a point-to-point internet connection, to access an internet connection from a distance further than Wifi, or other solutions, can provide? I am in dire need of a better solution that I currently have, as I am tired of paying Verizon Wireless over $1,000 a month(usually much more; Verizon Wireless is the only options out here, other than satellite, which is worse). I have some ideas, but they haven't been a raging success yet.

My current plan is to use two bladeRFs(one on each end), four directional antennas(two for each bladeRF, one RX and one TX), and two laptops to serve as routers, though they will be replaced with single-board solutions once I have the wireless functions working. From the distance that I attempting this, I expect I will need an amplifier, but I have no clue as to what I will select. That is the next consideration that I will figure out. I may end up going with a 2x2 MIMO setup on each end, though I haven't decided.

All concerns about spectrum licensing and restrictions have already been solved. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bpadalino

Re: Anyone tried a point-to-point internet connection?

Post by bpadalino »

We haven't specifically done a point-to-point system, but I think it would be a great application.

How much throughput are you hoping to get with the system? How far away are the antennas? I am assuming line of sight? What frequency?

Depending on the above parameters, you may need some amplification on your end (along with appropriate filtering).

To test it out, you may want to try to do the ATSC transmitter example. That will output a 6MHz wide 19Mbps stream continuously. Get a relatively modern TV that can tune to arbitrary ATSC channels and you can see how error free the signal ends up. This should give you a decent idea using a standard modulation and whatever SNR the receiver can output would be useful in determining a link budget.

Let us know how things go. I am very interested for this to work for you.

Brian