bladeRF 2.0 xA4 with YateBTS / SRSLTE

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
tylertucker1

bladeRF 2.0 xA4 with YateBTS / SRSLTE

Post by tylertucker1 »

Hello all,

I'm currently debugging my issues with YateBTS and SRSLTE using a bladeRF 2.0 xA4. I've tried several different combinations of libbladerf versions, FX3 images, and FPGA images. Both Yate and SRSLTE transmit well enough on the bladeRF to allow my network to appear on a manual network search on my test phones, but these devices cannot successfully register on either network. SRSLTE hasn't given me any meaningful warnings that I've seen so far, but Yate has noted a (highly) excessive UL noise floor. This, along with the absence of any detected uplink messages on either network, leads me to believe that the receiver gain on the bladeRF is too high. I've changed the receiver gain settings on both networks, but haven't achieved better results. Then, I thought to use the bladeRF-cli tool to set receiver gain. However, I couldn't get AGC to remain disabled after I exited the bladeRF-cli tool, so it seemed that the bladeRF simply ignored any of my settings after I exited the program. These problems occur at several different frequencies to try to eliminate the possibility of interference with local towers. Does anyone have advice on what the problem could be here?

Setup:
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Yate and YateBTS installed from yate-rc.tar file provided by Nuand

SRSLTE installed from source

bladeRF-cli version: 1.8.0-git-45521019
libbladeRF version: 2.2.1-git-45521019
Firmware version: 2.3.2
FPGA version: 0.11.0 (configured by USB host)
Pim

Re: bladeRF 2.0 xA4 with YateBTS / SRSLTE

Post by Pim »

Same issue here. I got a X40 to see if it works with that one. I also got a Raspberry 4. But it seems to me that it is too much asked to get the Pi 4 as a host. So i guess ill change back to x86 hardware.

Ill try to report my progress / status here.
tylertucker1

Post by tylertucker1 »

Answering my own question here by providing a link to a tutorial that a colleague and I made on base station installation: https://hernan.de/blog/2020/08/04/creat ... nd-srslte/

Also, check out this YateBTS with xA4/xA9 installation tutorial for help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7n9EyN5DKs
fllay

Post by fllay »

I have almost the same setting as yours and the same problem as you. But, sometime, it can connect UE, (Samsung J7) to the system. It works perfectly. I can watch youtube on my phone. I observe that I have to run srsenb and srsepc for awhile ( 5 to 1o mins) before I can connect the UE. I don't known why. I suspect my antenna is not good for the band I use. I will do more test on the new antenna.
nerdasaur

Post by nerdasaur »

Certainly ~new w/ linux, and absolutely new to bladeRF and SDR's. Been working pretty hard on a project, learning as much as i can. The project goal is to have an LTE network in a box ( like the weatherproof ones) for Disaster/Emergency response.

I've been following all the tutorials listed here, hardware:
rPi 4 8GB
bladeRF 2.0 xA4

rPi running Ubuntu 20.10.
Build and install of bladeRF @ 3a411c8 commit works fine. I'm having issues installing YateBTS (well, error on Yate). Here is the build output:

make -C ../libs/miniwebrtc
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/yate/libs/miniwebrtc'
g++ -Wall -I. -I./audio/common/processing -I./audio/common/vad -I./audio/processing/aec -I./audio/processing/aecm -I./audio/processing/agc -I./audio/processing/ns -I./audio/processing/utility -I./system_wrappers -O2 -Wno-overloaded-virtual -fno-exceptions -fPIC -DHAVE_GCC_FORMAT_CHECK -DHAVE_BLOCK_RETURN -DWEBRTC_NS_FLOAT=true -c -o audio/common/resampler/resampler.o audio/common/resampler/resampler.cc
In file included from ./audio/common/processing/signal_processing_library.h:22,
from audio/common/resampler/resampler.cc:19:
./typedefs.h:104:2: error: #error Please add support for your architecture in typedefs.h
104 | #error Please add support for your architecture in typedefs.h
| ^~~~~
make[2]: *** [Makefile:263: audio/common/resampler/resampler.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/yate/libs/miniwebrtc'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:448: ../libs/miniwebrtc/libminiwebrtc.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/yate/modules'
make: *** [Makefile:186: modules] Error 2

i looked at the typedefs.h file, looks like no support indicated for ARM architecture.

Here is a link to the file on github: https://github.com/shimaore/yate/blob/m ... typedefs.h

Will i need to pursue YateBTS on x86? not sure how difficult adding architecture support for ARM is... I'm pretty much at a loss, maybe move on to srsLTE?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

nerdasaur wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:12 am Certainly ~new w/ linux, and absolutely new to bladeRF and SDR's. Been working pretty hard on a project, learning as much as i can. The project goal is to have an LTE network in a box ( like the weatherproof ones) for Disaster/Emergency response.

I've been following all the tutorials listed here, hardware:
rPi 4 8GB
bladeRF 2.0 xA4

rPi running Ubuntu 20.10.
Build and install of bladeRF @ 3a411c8 commit works fine. I'm having issues installing YateBTS (well, error on Yate). Here is the build output:

make -C ../libs/miniwebrtc
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/yate/libs/miniwebrtc'
g++ -Wall -I. -I./audio/common/processing -I./audio/common/vad -I./audio/processing/aec -I./audio/processing/aecm -I./audio/processing/agc -I./audio/processing/ns -I./audio/processing/utility -I./system_wrappers -O2 -Wno-overloaded-virtual -fno-exceptions -fPIC -DHAVE_GCC_FORMAT_CHECK -DHAVE_BLOCK_RETURN -DWEBRTC_NS_FLOAT=true -c -o audio/common/resampler/resampler.o audio/common/resampler/resampler.cc
./typedefs.h:104:2: error: #error Please add support for your architecture in typedefs.h
| ^~~~~
make[2]: *** [Makefile:263: audio/common/resampler/resampler.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/yate/libs/miniwebrtc'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:448: ../libs/miniwebrtc/libminiwebrtc.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/yate/time tracking software/modules'
make: *** [Makefile:186: modules] Error 2

i looked at the typedefs.h file, looks like no support indicated for ARM architecture.

Here is a link to the file on github: https://github.com/shimaore/yate/blob/m ... typedefs.h

Will i need to pursue YateBTS on x86? not sure how difficult adding architecture support for ARM is... I'm pretty much at a loss, maybe move on to srsLTE?
I had the same build parameters, but did not get an error. Perhaps I am wrong.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
S34N_

Post by S34N_ »

I got the same error on

- Rapsberry Pi 4B
- BladeRF-A9
- Ubuntu Server 22.04.3 LTS (OS Type 64-bit)
- Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS (OS Type 64-bit)

Code: Select all

g++ -Wall   -I. -I./audio/common/processing -I./audio/common/vad -I./audio/processing/aec -I./audio/processing/aecm -I./audio/processing/agc -I./audio/processing/ns -I./audio/processing/utility -I./system_wrappers -O2 -Wno-overloaded-virtual  -fno-exceptions -fPIC -DHAVE_GCC_FORMAT_CHECK -DHAVE_BLOCK_RETURN  -DWEBRTC_NS_FLOAT=true -c -o audio/common/resampler/resampler.o audio/common/resampler/resampler.cc
      |  ^~~~~
gcc -Wall  -I../.. -O2 -O3 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -fno-exceptions -fPIC -DHAVE_GCC_FORMAT_CHECK -DHAVE_BLOCK_RETURN -c gainquant.c
gcc -Wall  -I. -I./audio/common/processing -I./audio/common/vad -I./audio/processing/aec -I./audio/processing/aecm -I./audio/processing/agc -I./audio/processing/ns -I./audio/processing/utility -I./system_wrappers -O2 -fno-exceptions -fPIC -

Following this guide:
https://www.alissaknight.com/post/hacki ... ar-devices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgirg2dpJdc

I have already tried with the 32-bit. it didn't work with the 32-bit either. None of the above worked for me.

I'm going to look for either pre-built binaries or try a different approach bladeRF A9 + srsRAN + Open5GS.
based on my assumption & 1 week of experience of trying this re-installation endless times, Yate/YateBTS is either unstable or outdated or out of sync with Ubuntu 20/22 & doesn't work with the Raspberry-Pi 4B.

If anyone manages to get this to work in the year 2023, please share your steps & results here.

It makes sense why some journal articles are removed from the scholars' database. If people can't replicate your experiment in an attempt to achieve similar as shown in the paper, either the researcher sugar-coated the experiment or something else was done and was not mentioned in the paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 012005/pdf

Anyways. The frustration is real :-(
violetcherry

Post by violetcherry »

Use the latest builds of YateBTS or SRSLTE - check their forums/docs for recommended BladeRF firmware and drivers.dino game