Nios2DebugException: Target is broken and needs to be reset

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
giomate

Nios2DebugException: Target is broken and needs to be reset

Post by giomate »

Hi there,
i need to implement an synthesizer, which should be controlled by the fpga. We bought the bladerf-micro thinking, that this interface would be doable at the expansion port.
Unfortunately, it has been everything ..but easy.
With a lot of trouble, I did until the compilation of the compilation of the build_bladerf.sh and the compilation of the software in eclipse.
The next step consisted on configuring a SPI module in the Qsys/Platform Designer, which is went smoothly.
However, the debugging/running of this new module on eclipse seems to be impossible, with the current hardware configuration.
Basically, the two possible ways to debug in NIOS lead me to nowhere:
-Trying NIOS II Hardware ends up killing Quartus, because eclipse freezes
-Trying NIOS II Hardware beta pops up Nios2DebugException: Target is broken and needs to be reset,

After Days:Hours:Minutes of googling , it seem that something on bladeRF-micro hardware interference with the JTAG reset…. I guess..

I appreciate any comment or ideas
robert.ghilduta

Re: Nios2DebugException: Target is broken and needs to be reset

Post by robert.ghilduta »

Apologies about the delay. The forum seems to be under a constant flood of spam.
To quote the response from Github:
It should be possible to debug the bladeRF's NIOS by following documentation in: https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/blob/m ... eclipse.sh

Please note that prior to connecting to the debugger, the FPGA should be loaded by libbladeRF, preferably by bladeRF-cli.
Also, is there anything specific about the FX3 that is causing the FPGA to not be in the desired state?
Disabling the FX3's GPIF interface entirely may be a bit difficult.