Working on Windows

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
orangepeel

Re: Working on Windows

Post by orangepeel »

I have a Renesas Electronics USB3 host controller on an expansion card from Transcend model TS-PDU3 if that helps
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

orangepeel wrote:I have a Renesas Electronics USB3 host controller on an expansion card from Transcend model TS-PDU3 if that helps
Does it work with the bladeRF using Windows? If so, which version of Windows?
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Windows 7
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

orangepeel wrote:Windows 7
Thanks. I don't have USB 3.0 on my Windows 7 systems, when my Windows 7 system was sick I bought a new i7-4770 which came with W8. I repaired the W7 system (the NVidia card was crashed the hardware), this is now an emergency standby system.

Anyway, next week I hope to assist the boys from nuand and get W8 working with the bladeRF. I don't think CPU will be an issue at the maximum sample rates but it is possible, if so I'll look at using OpenCL / CUDA for the FFT.
dk5ras

Post by dk5ras »

In Linux CPU is definitely not an issue (i5 with gqrx and 30 MS/s has still some room to the top), so why should this differ under Windows? :)

Ralph.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

dk5ras wrote:In Linux CPU is definitely not an issue (i5 with gqrx and 30 MS/s has still some room to the top), so why should this differ under Windows? :)

Ralph.
It depends on what you're doing - the above statement is rather vague.
syntroniks

Post by syntroniks »

I haven't used your program quite yet but it looks very pretty.

Looking forward to having a nice SDR program support this hardware. Keep up the good work! :P
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

syntroniks wrote:I haven't used your program quite yet but it looks very pretty.

Looking forward to having a nice SDR program support this hardware. Keep up the good work! :P
I'm getting there - the structure of the bladeRF is different to the other SDR radios I have supported, spending time ironing out issues.
Montezuma

Post by Montezuma »

SDR-Radio.com wrote:
orangepeel wrote:Windows 7
Thanks. I don't have USB 3.0 on my Windows 7 systems, when my Windows 7 system was sick I bought a new i7-4770 which came with W8. I repaired the W7 system (the NVidia card was crashed the hardware), this is now an emergency standby system.

Anyway, next week I hope to assist the boys from nuand and get W8 working with the bladeRF. I don't think CPU will be an issue at the maximum sample rates but it is possible, if so I'll look at using OpenCL / CUDA for the FFT.
I sent you a PM, and I am still willing to commit to testing. Let me know, and I can setup and test whichever Windows version you wish tested.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, I don't need testers at the moment, I'll post info here when I'm ready.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

SDR-Radio.com wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the offer, I don't need testers at the moment, I'll post info here when I'm ready.
OK,

I now have the bladeRF working well (IMO) on Windows, this evening it'll be tested by another user then made available for others as soon as he's happy. I am using the latest firmware which keeps the FPGA code somewhere inside the USB controller (that FX3 thingy) so there's no need to do anything when powering up.

Hasta la vista, baby.
dk5ras

Post by dk5ras »

Will it also work with manually loaded firmware, when I build some script for startup? The reason is that with latest FW my BladeRF does not work any more in my Linux VM...

Ralph, dk5ras.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

dk5ras wrote:Will it also work with manually loaded firmware, when I build some script for startup? The reason is that with latest FW my BladeRF does not work any more in my Linux VM...

Ralph, dk5ras.
Hi,

It's a Windows console which expects correct firmware - that's it. I honestly don't know anything about scripts and don't have any special support for them.
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Great stuff. Cant wait to give it a try -- keep us updated
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

orangepeel wrote:Great stuff. Cant wait to give it a try -- keep us updated
Well it's running at 30MHz on the tester's computer, I'm uploading a kit which should run at 38.4 MHz sample rate (had to fix a buggy).

You'll need some decent horsepower for this but it's worth it.