USB 3.0 FX Controller & Device Enumeration

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
Parazoa

USB 3.0 FX Controller & Device Enumeration

Post by Parazoa »

Hi,

my Linux has problems creating the blade device (/dev/bladerf0). During the boot process, I can see that its not possible to enumerate on the USB bus. The only thing I see is a USB device with vendor / product id (04b4:00f3):
T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=04b4 ProdID=00f3 Rev=01.00
S: Manufacturer=Cypress
S: Product=WestBridge
S: SerialNumber=0000000004BE
C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=200mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
I tried it with with my PC and RPi, the USB device ids are always the same.

Is there a way to analyze what is going on with the USB controller (not initialized?)?

Cheers,

Parazoa
bpadalino

Re: USB 3.0 FX Controller & Device Enumeration

Post by bpadalino »

It appears that the device is not finding the device firmware and is going into the USB bootloader mode.

The recovery process, currently, is to use the Cypress FX3 SDK tools to download the firmware image to RAM which will then re-enumerate the device as a bladeRF. At that point, you can use the upgrade firmware option in the CLI to re-flash the firmware to the device. It's on the todo list to build a bad-flash recovery mode into the CLI, but we haven't made it there just yet.

If you're willing to try this, let me know. If it's a little too advanced for you, we can either bump up the priority of the recovery or we can try to setup a ship-flash-return.
Parazoa

Post by Parazoa »

Ok, I am willing to try the recovery process via the Cypress tools! :-) Can you send me a limerick how to download the firmware to RAM and start the whole thing?

BTW, thanks for your help!

Parazoa
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

In linux there is a cyusb loader application that comes with the tools. In Windows there is an application - I believe the Control Center - which does the same thing.

It will show the FX3 device as a valid target. Choose to download to RAM and select the firmware file.

At that point, device manager or lsusb should show it to be an OpenMoko device, 1d50:6066, which has been designated to us from them.

And no problem - we're working hard to try to make it a simpler process.

Thanks for your patience and support.
Parazoa

Post by Parazoa »

Hi,

it worked exactly like you described! Thanks a lot!

- Parazoa
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Good to hear you have success!