Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
scancapecod

Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Post by scancapecod »

Hi,

It's now late February. I noticed another member's question regarding this several days ago in another thread went unanswered.

What is the status of this transverter? Will it still be shipped in late February as the website currently indicates? If so, are there enough manufactured to cover all orders? I ordered mine on 1/24 when I purchased my bladeRF so I'm obviously lower on the list which is fine, but I know a lot of people have been waiting a while.

Incidentally, in addition to saying that the transverter is on backorder and won't ship until Late February 2014, the webpage for the transverter still indicates that orders won't be shipped until November 2013, which is obviously far in the rear view mirror.

Just checking in. If there's another delay please let us know. It's not my intention to be pain about it, but and update on status would be welcome.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott
Webmaster - Scan New England
http://www.scan-ne.net
schrambo

Re: Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Post by schrambo »

Just like to register my interest for the update on this too.
I am very much interested in purchasing one too but I've decided to hold off until they are readily available as for now I can't afford to spend the money but not have anything delivered for possibly a lengthy time as I rather put the money towards another project of mine that'll have more ongoing traction. Like mountain bike parts :lol:
CC90

Post by CC90 »

Me too. I placed an order in early November. I don't mind waiting, but the absence of updates from the Nuand team makes me slightly nervous.

Colin
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Well it's now been 3 days since I made this inquiry. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's been ignored as there has clearly been activity from at least one Nuand person on these forums since I made the original post on Monday. Another inquiry made on 14 February in another thread was never answered either.

Given that you have I'd guess at least several people that have already paid for this item, respectfully you need to come forward with an update. To not do so is in my opinion inexcusable. None of us that have inquired have asked for a firm delivery date, but instead simply to be updated as to what's going on. None that I've read have been demanding or impolite and I hope this won't be taken as such; it's certainly not my intent. I think we all understand that things happen to cause delays, especially with cutting edge stuff like this. However, to not keep your customer base informed as to the status of something they have already paid for is in my opinion not good customer service.

If you can't meet the shipping date as advertised, please kindly update the webpage that offers the transverter for sale, and please kindly update those of us that have paid for it and are waiting.

So as to avoid splitting hairs, I do understand that late February includes up to 2/28, and this is only 2/27. ;)

Thank you for your anticipated communication.
Scott
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Sorry folks. This past week has been extremely busy for me with regards to answering all the forum posts. I apologize profusely.

We have finished the schematic, layout and have ordered the initial prototypes of the transverter board. We have enough components to build plenty for all current orders as well as have a healthy stock afterwards. We are assuming there will be no glaring mistakes, and, if anything, might need to change a cap or two on the final design.

Once the prototypes are in our hands, and the software is written to fully test out the RF chains, we just need to tell the manufacturer to build more and we will have them ready in a few days after which we will send it off to you.

A preliminary schematic is available on the website. There were some more slight modifications to this, but nothing really notable.

Again - I apologize for the late response and not getting to the inquiry quicker. I really, really appreciate your patience but I think this is a board that you should be happy with.

Brian
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

It's nice to see an update, and that's greatly appreciated. For me it's not a matter of haste, just a matter of communication. Thanks for the encouraging news, Brian. :)
Scott
drew23

Post by drew23 »

Hi

The transverter looks quite good, but it does not seem to go below 30 MHz? I thought it was to go down to 10 MHz, so that some of the HF bands were covered? A lot of people would like 20m coverage.

Regards Drew VK4ZXI
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

There is an SMA and transformer to connect directly to the ADC's. That direct sampling should cover the really low frequencies.

That was the thought, at least.
Montezuma

Post by Montezuma »

bpadalino wrote:There is an SMA and transformer to connect directly to the ADC's. That direct sampling should cover the really low frequencies.

That was the thought, at least.
What happened to the blog updates? I know people can get busy, but there could be a little better communication on what is currently being focused on, and status updates on focused projects. At least once every few weeks, though more is always welcomed.

Could we get a picture, or multiple pictures of the HF/VHF expansion board? Will it be roughly the same size at the GPIO board? To be clear, there will be an option for access to the HF bands that more than a few people are looking forward to, or will such access be available after the board comes to market?

What exactly is holding up the board? I understand that design and manufacturing problems occur, but I haven't read what problems are stalling the HF/VHF expansion board.
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Updated information on shipping here...and a price increase for future orders, so we caught a break by ordering early. :) Looks like those of you that ordered real early should have them in your hands soon.

http://www.nuand.com/blog/product/hf-vhf-transverter/
Scott
Montezuma

Post by Montezuma »

scancapecod wrote:Updated information on shipping here...and a price increase for future orders, so we caught a break by ordering early. :) Looks like those of you that ordered real early should have them in your hands soon.

http://www.nuand.com/blog/product/hf-vhf-transverter/
I was finding it difficult to buy the expansion board at $150, but I definitely will not buy it at $200. At that price, the board should be able to go below 10 MHz, and should be capable of a little more beyond the listed specs.
piranha32

Post by piranha32 »

If you're talking about downconverter similar to those used with RTL dongles - you're absolutely right. Here you'll get a transverter capable of working in both directions, with a set of band filters. I also thought that the $150 was a bit on the expensive side, but only until I saw the schematic.
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Any updates on shipping status?
Scott
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

I am also happy with the improvements and have been constantly checking the product web page and forums for any updates on shipment status. Are all of the orders placed up to March going be shipped by the end of April? :?:
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
Vine

Post by Vine »

Hello,

I ordered the transverter on 4th April and it was explained that orders received on or after March 2014 will ship in mid to late April. Now it said that orders received on or after April 2014 will ship in mid to late May. So, will the transverter be shipped in april or may in my case ?

Thanks,
Vincent