Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
scancapecod

Re: Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Post by scancapecod »

Well I'm glad you mentioned cables. For some reason I was thinking they came with it. No problem, but what would you recommend for the minimum required length? I would think 1 footers would be fine, probably even less? Someday you folks or someone needs to come up with a case to enclose this entire contraption!

Thanks for the update.
Scott
Webmaster - Scan New England
http://www.scan-ne.net
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

Can the two 6" male SMA to right-angle SMA cables included with the bladeRF be used to connect to the transverter? Too short? Right-angle a problem?

Also looking forward to a shielded case to enclose both boards.
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

The cables that were included are fine but will be very long. Only a few inches are required.

We will take some pictures of it connected up and take some measurements for everyone.

Not sure about the enclosure just yet.

Brian
Vine

Post by Vine »

Thanks for the update !

Vincent
drbob

Post by drbob »

I think I just wet my pants in anticipation...
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

How is the manufacturing going? I see that one of the two branches for the transverter is gone.
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Well, the entire message forums went silent after that question! :D Maybe another wrench in the machinery?
Scott
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

I see that the transverter fixes have been merged into master. That's a good sign. If only we could tell what was happening with the hardware. Brian, I thought you were going to be giving us weekly updates.
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
Vine

Post by Vine »

I placed the order 11 weeks ago, it starts to be long, knowing that the original order should have been sent in late April... What's wrong with the production ?
robert.ghilduta

Post by robert.ghilduta »

Production is going fine, it just took a while for it to ramp up after the initial QA mishap. Every transverter is X-rayed, and tested before it is shipped so we were able to catch the board production issues immediately and ensure that no sub-par boards shipped to anyone.
You should have received an email (or two if you haven't acknowledged the first one) with a status update and asking to verify your address. If you did not receive such an email please email me directly.
Also, if you email me directly at [email protected] I can help locate where in the queue you are and take care of any concerns you may have. The plan at the moment is to have every backoered transverter shipped before the end of the month (so basically within the week).
Vine

Post by Vine »

OK, thanks for the update Robert ;)
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Thanks for the update Robert. I just emailed you but after I hit send I thought maybe it would be a good idea for you to clarify when those confirmation emails went out. As I stated in what I just sent you I DID receive such an email, but it was at least a few months ago. If that's the one you meant maybe you can save your inbox a little grief by clarifying.

Thanks and regards,

Scott
Scott
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

One more question regarding the transverter.

I know you folks aren't the least bit responsible for using the bladeRF with or without its HF/VHF transverter with any third party software.

You had mentioned that you would be working with Simon Brown (SDR-Radio) with regards to transverter functionality. Does this mean that until and unless you get together with him this won't work at all with that software, or just certain features like the implementation of filters won't work. I know that seamless operation was discussed earlier in this thread and that it didn't sound like it was going to be implemented.

Obviously I'm going to plug and play/pray in any event, but I figured I'd ask. I was under the impression that Simon had ordered a transverter but from a message exchange with him via the SDR-Radio Yahoogroup it seems otherwise.

Thanks.
Scott
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

Got my transverter today! Order date was March 15th so all those stll waiting hang in there, the wait is almost over.

Now the question is as scancapecod asked, what software supports the board. I use SDR-Console v2 and hope it supports operation throughtout the full bladeRF advertised range (down to 60kHz). Is additional hardware necessary when operating down to these frequencies? If so are there any suggestions where it can be purchased?

Since the hardware development phase of this project appears to be almost over, I look forward to future exploitations of it's potential on all of it's supported frequencies. Having software funtions offloaded to the hardware isnwhere bladeRF will stand out compared to he alternatives.
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Chris, as another user of SDR-Radio I'd be interested to hear of anything you can report as to whether the transverter is working with it or not.
We will also work with Simon Brown and the gr-osmosdr folks to make sure everyone is able to take full advantage of the different filterbanks as well as better seamless integration for frequency tuning.
With regards to the "Simon Brown" portion of the above I expect that has not as of yet occurred? He didn't even know the transverters were out there until I advised him.

Nuand, as I said before I know you're not responsible for 3rd party software, and that a lot of folks roll their own, but for those of us not skilled enough to do so, do you anticipate working with Simon anytime soon on this? It's going to be disappointing to me to finally get this transverter and not be able to use it. It sounds like that may indeed be the case unless Chris reports otherwise.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott