Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
scancapecod

Re: Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Post by scancapecod »

One more question regarding the transverter.

I know you folks aren't the least bit responsible for using the bladeRF with or without its HF/VHF transverter with any third party software.

You had mentioned that you would be working with Simon Brown (SDR-Radio) with regards to transverter functionality. Does this mean that until and unless you get together with him this won't work at all with that software, or just certain features like the implementation of filters won't work. I know that seamless operation was discussed earlier in this thread and that it didn't sound like it was going to be implemented.

Obviously I'm going to plug and play/pray in any event, but I figured I'd ask. I was under the impression that Simon had ordered a transverter but from a message exchange with him via the SDR-Radio Yahoogroup it seems otherwise.

Thanks.
Scott
Webmaster - Scan New England
http://www.scan-ne.net
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

Got my transverter today! Order date was March 15th so all those stll waiting hang in there, the wait is almost over.

Now the question is as scancapecod asked, what software supports the board. I use SDR-Console v2 and hope it supports operation throughtout the full bladeRF advertised range (down to 60kHz). Is additional hardware necessary when operating down to these frequencies? If so are there any suggestions where it can be purchased?

Since the hardware development phase of this project appears to be almost over, I look forward to future exploitations of it's potential on all of it's supported frequencies. Having software funtions offloaded to the hardware isnwhere bladeRF will stand out compared to he alternatives.
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Chris, as another user of SDR-Radio I'd be interested to hear of anything you can report as to whether the transverter is working with it or not.
We will also work with Simon Brown and the gr-osmosdr folks to make sure everyone is able to take full advantage of the different filterbanks as well as better seamless integration for frequency tuning.
With regards to the "Simon Brown" portion of the above I expect that has not as of yet occurred? He didn't even know the transverters were out there until I advised him.

Nuand, as I said before I know you're not responsible for 3rd party software, and that a lot of folks roll their own, but for those of us not skilled enough to do so, do you anticipate working with Simon anytime soon on this? It's going to be disappointing to me to finally get this transverter and not be able to use it. It sounds like that may indeed be the case unless Chris reports otherwise.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

We've submitted a patch for gr-osmosdr for the GNU Radio side of things, and we have reached out to Simon Brown for SDR-Radio Console.

From a development standpoint, it's very simple. First, the library has to know that the board is attached. Once it is "attached" in terms of the library, the tuning range should just open up. The next hard problem will be to follow the filterbank selection as there are 3 hard wired filters for each of the HAM bands, and 1 'custom' filter. Currently it's up to the programmer to select the appropriate filter.

We have done a little write up on the wiki on Getting Started with the XB-200. This is where I believe we will put the code snippets on how to attach and control the board.

Note that there is a library and FPGA image update that has to be used for the XB-200 to work properly.

Brian
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

This post will show my ignorance. I am running libbladeRF version 0.12.1-git. How do I upgrade that in Windows? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm obviously missing something.

Also, thanks for the update.
Scott
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Just to let you know that I will be receiving a board, once it's here I'll get it working.

I am not part of the NUAND team, I only really know what you all know, and at the moment I haven't hooked my bladeRF up since moving house as I'm really waiting for the transverter anyway.

Toodles
cwiener

Post by cwiener »

Thanks Simon for the update.

Scott, here is a good reference for building the latest source needed for compatibility with the transverter: https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/wiki/G ... 3A-Windows.

After building the latest code and downloading the updated FPGA this is the output from bladeRF-cli version:

bladeRF> version

bladeRF-cli version: 0.10.8-git-1534077-dirty
libbladeRF version: 0.15.0-git-1534077-dirty

Firmware version: 1.6.1-git-b7e6642
FPGA version: 0.0.5

I'm not sure whether there is a later firmware version or not.

I have the antenna connected to the RXANT on the transverter and RXIF on the transverter connected to RX on the base board. A jumper cable connects the two custom filter connectors.

Running SDR-Console does not yield any signals so we'll have to anxiously wait for Simon to get his board and make the necessary changes. I'm going to boot into Linux and see if I can get gqrx to tune with the transceiver.

The #bladeRF IRC channel has been very helpful. Thanks to all those who post info there!

Chris N2CR
Chris Wiener N2CR
Morris Plains, NJ
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Thanks Chris. I see the Windows installer has not been updated so I guess I'll try to do it the hard way. Thanks for your update as well Simon.
Scott
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

EDIT: After downloading the file two times more, having the same problem the first time again, the second time it installed, so I'm moving on. Disregard the below rant. I suppose I could backspace it out but that's no fun.

Well two steps in and I'm already having problems.

When I try to install either the 32 or 64 bit version of TortoiseGit-1.8.9.0-xxbit.msi it immediately fails and throws up a message: "Windows Installer". "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verfify that this is a valid Windows installer package." This is not one of the "Common Problems" messages as shown in the TortoiseGit wiki. A reboot of the PC and a subsequent attempt to install met with the same results. I'm attempting this on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Hopefully an update to the Windows installer will be forthcoming, or there is a reason why this is occurring. Please don't tell me it's because it's Windows 8.1; that's where I've been running the bladeRF since day 1 as installed by the now outdated Windows installer, and for as long as I have this thing that's where it's going to stay.

The frustration continues. I expect there will be a solution of some nature.
Scott
drbob

Post by drbob »

So, to clarify... The transverters have started shipping? I received an initial confirmation of my address, that was awhile back, but hadn't heard anything recently...
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Bob, I ordered mine in late January when I bought the bladeRF, and I received it on Monday. I'm in Massachusetts. Hope that helps you gauge things a bit.

Scott
Scott
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Yes - the boards are shipping out as of right now. I believe by the end of next week, all the orders should have been fulfilled.

Simon Brown should have his board by now, if not very soon, and the API to attach the XB and set the filterbank selection is in the master branch. It does require a new FPGA from the nuand website - version 0.0.5.

We've had reports of people being able to use the RF inputs as low as 1MHz, but it was unsure how close that station was transmitting. The ADC inputs are still something we need to get working in the API. We also had an idea to put a Hilbert filter on that input so the samples are kept to nice complex values, but we haven't done that yet either.

Lastly, we will be putting the RF filter plot raw data on the website in the near future.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for being so patient. I am sorry it has taken so long. Feel free to continue to use this forum post for software issues or what are perceived hardware problems.
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

I can confirm that Simon has his board. However, I don't think he was aware that it didn't come with cables. Maybe you guys should list, if you haven't already, that cables do not come with the board. He has cables on order and will revisit the code when he receives them.
Scott
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Ah, I see.

The original bladeRF comes with 2 cables, which we thought would be used to connect the RXIF and TXIF ports of the xb200 with the bladeRF itself. The jumper cable for the custom filter isn't completely required, but are nice to have if you don't want another custom filter. I guess that still leaves some SMA cables required to get to the antenna input.

Sorry about that - we'll note it on the page.
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Just to clarify, there is no need to have a jumper between the RXFILT and RXFILT-ANT connections unless you have a custom filter inline? I thought there had to be a jumper there regardless, so I guess I'm a little confused....nothing new there.

Now you've got me thinking about what I did with the original cables that came with the bladeRF! :) But no need for an apology, just a clarification on how many cables are needed and if the buyer needs to be prepared to purchase more.

Thanks.
Scott