Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
jynik

Re: Status on HF/VHF Transverter?

Post by jynik »

scancapecod wrote:Just to clarify, there is no need to have a jumper between the RXFILT and RXFILT-ANT connections unless you have a custom filter inline? I thought there had to be a jumper there regardless, so I guess I'm a little confused....nothing new there.
By placing a jumper there instead of a custom filter and enabling that path, you're effectively using "no filter". So to answer your question, if you want to tune to something outside the on-board filters, and can get away without a filter on the RX side...I'd recommend putting a jumper there. Does that make sense? Or have I only added to the confusion?

For example, to listen to FM radio stations, I keep that jumper populated and let gr-osmosdr default to the custom filterbank. The signal looks pretty darn good and sounds great...even with just using a random 2 1/2 foot piece of wire as my antenna:

Personally, I found these little SMA cables to be helpful: (Please refrain from laughing at my lack of handiwork here!)
http://imgur.com/ScyixZa
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

jynik,

In your photo you have a nice case - which one is it?
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

SDR-Radio.com wrote:jynik,

In your photo you have a nice case - which one is it?
+1 on the case. :)

And I understand your explanation, Jon. Thanks.
Scott
Webmaster - Scan New England
http://www.scan-ne.net
jynik

Post by jynik »

The case is the one that was recently put up on the Nuand store.

As you can see, this case was designed for just the bladeRF and doesn't fit the transverter. I'm not sure if/when Rob plans to do a case for the transverter -- I suspect it'll largely depend on whether enough people will want it to justify the NRE costs...but I'm really not the guy to ask on this matter.

The "handiwork" I was joking about was my butchering of this case to fit the transveter -- I think one can do a much nicer job than I managed.

The general modifications consisted of the following. A dremel and a drill did the trick...but I probably could have done it cleaner.
  • Drilling holes on the top to access the SMA connectors (used both the dremel and drill here)
  • Cutting out the sides to fit the side SMA connectors (used a dremel with a round sanding bit)
  • Getting some more (and longer) #2 screws and nuts to hold it all together
If I were to do it again, I'd drill smaller holes on the top, and use some male-male SMA barrel adapters to extend the top SMA connectors, making them easier to access.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Thanks,

With luck there will be a case for mother + daughter, then I'll buy one.

Toodles
jynik

Post by jynik »

Just make note of something in the above picture of the board/case...mainly as a "CYA" for myself. I know this is common sense to most, if not all, of the folks active in this thread...but just wanted to note this for historical purposes.

While I recommend the RXANT-RXFILT being jumpered in the case where it's "good enough," I wanted to stress that folks be do not do this on the TX side. If you're using the custom filter path (as opposed to the 3 on-board filters) and transmitting over the air, you're going to want to ensure you've got the proper filters in place to avoid transmitting outside of the bands you're licensed to do so in.

If you note in my picture there, I've got the bladeRF attached to a vector signal analyzer with a well-shielded SMA cable. I do not transmit over the air in this configuration.
Vine

Post by Vine »

I just saw on the store that orders will now be shipped the first week of july. I ordered mine 3 months ago and no news from my order... We are however at the end of the first week of july...
robert.ghilduta

Post by robert.ghilduta »

Hi Vine,

Can you please email me directly at [email protected] with your order number. Orders placed in March should have shipped by now. Do you remember receiving an email that asked you to confirm your email address?
Either way, just as a quick update, there are still some remaining orders that should be sent out before the end of this week.

Regards,
Rob
Vine

Post by Vine »

I have already sent you an email last week, you have not received it ? My is order is #1551.

Thanks,
Vincent
drbob

Arrival: HF/VHF Transverter?

Post by drbob »

Awesomesauce!

The transverter arrived today and I'm starting to play - let's see how this goes!