On Board USB Broken

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
zane93

On Board USB Broken

Post by zane93 »

I had a mishap that ripped the female usb connector off of the board on my x40 and I can not fix it. I think the board is fine. It was not powered up when it happened.

Is their any other way to make a connection to the board without usb 3.0 and still make this of some use?
OR
Could I still use is some how in a 2X2 configuration if I supply power via the DC jack?

I'm just looking for some way to still use this $420 board and not toss it so any ideas would be great!
Thanks
bpadalino

Re: On Board USB Broken

Post by bpadalino »

Sorry to hear about the USB mishap.

You can switch the jumpers on J70 to connect up to the DC barrel jack. Unfortunately the 2x2 MIMO doesn't transfer the samples over to a single board so you don't have that option.

But there is hope. You can use the FPGA with a USB Blaster to connect over JTAG and use it as an FPGA/RF development platform. You can also try to get a JLink ARM debugger and connect to the FX3 and try to use it through there. Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to analyze 40MHz of spectrum in real time, though.

Hope this was helpful.
zane93

Re: On Board USB Broken

Post by zane93 »

bpadalino wrote:Sorry to hear about the USB mishap.

You can switch the jumpers on J70 to connect up to the DC barrel jack. Unfortunately the 2x2 MIMO doesn't transfer the samples over to a single board so you don't have that option.

But there is hope. You can use the FPGA with a USB Blaster to connect over JTAG and use it as an FPGA/RF development platform. You can also try to get a JLink ARM debugger and connect to the FX3 and try to use it through there. Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to analyze 40MHz of spectrum in real time, though.

Hope this was helpful.
Thanks for the tips. When I spoke about the 2x2 config I did not say if I purchased another board could I sill use the damaged board in conjunction with the new one? I do not remember what firmware is running on the damaged board. I am really just a beginner at SDRs.