Some specifications

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
jpvc

Some specifications

Post by jpvc »

As a part of a project I am currently working on, I want to get a non-operational license in the UK for research purposes but there's a few caveats with that and the first of them is that I am not an expert in radio communication, much closer to a newbie in fact, and there are a few technical criteria that I have to fill in as part of the form. I was wondering if you could help me out with this or at least point me in the right direction. The more help I can get, the better, but the things I believe I'm having more trouble with are the ones in section RF Power details:

14.What is the peak RF Power supplied to the antenna or load? dBW
15.What is the peak radiated power? ERP or EIRP in dBW
16.What is the mean radiated power? (pulsed transmissions only) ERP or EIRP in dBW
(Please also indicate the bandwidth that this refers to); Measured bandwidth, Pulse duration and pulse repetition rate.

Maybe it's just waaay out of my league, if this is the case, it would also be good to know why and which would be a good direction to take a first step in.

I am attaching the application form as well.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
bpadalino

Re: Some specifications

Post by bpadalino »

Unfortunately these types of questions are so specific to your system and much less part of the base SDR system underneath it.

I highly recommend that you find someone local to you who has experience with RF systems. Someone you can trust or contract with, discuss what you want to try to do, and explain the different aspects of the system. At a bare minimum, if you are hooking up your bladeRF to an antenna, you should use a harmonic filter. Your radiated power will be a function of what the LMS can do at that frequency along with whatever antenna gain you have in your system and amplifiers.

Peak and average power along with pulse width, bandwidth, etc - those are all system design specific questions.

I am sorry if this wasn't as helpful as you would have hoped for, and I don't want to dissuade you from going forward, but please do find someone you trust to help you through the application and to make sure you are outputting some clean spectrum.

Good luck!

Brian