Top-level Simulaition Using ModelSim?

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
umireon

Top-level Simulaition Using ModelSim?

Post by umireon »

Hi there,

I have got access to a splendid bladeRF device, and inclined to do some FPGA works.
My current goal is to create a standalone RF impairment simulator in AWGN and Rayleigh fading channels.

Since my application is headless, the simulation and testing is essential to implement it successfully.
I wrote some signal processing units and unit-tested them using ModelSim, and then I integrated them into a signal processing chain.
Before deploying the whole design to the device, I'd like to the top-level simulation and verify my design works fine.
I checked the repository and found there seems to be a way to simulate the integrated signal processing chain.
https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/commit ... 863874b4f8
However, I cannot understand how to do this because of my little experience on FPGA design.
Could you tell me how to do the top-level simulation, or is there a more efficient way to test the integrated design?

Best regards,

Kaito
ca2devri

Re: Top-level Simulaition Using ModelSim?

Post by ca2devri »

There are no replies to this, is it because it hasn't been done yet? I'm also looking to simulate FPGA development. A little bit of help in getting started with modelSim would be awesome. I see some things in the FPGA directories that makes it look like it has been set up for modelSim.
bglod

Post by bglod »

We use ModelSim-Altera, which can be installed as part of the Altera Quartus package. There are a number of tutorials online on how to get started with ModelSim, so I'm not going to get into it too much here. If you have any specific questions about simulating a bladeRF design, or you run into problems (something doesn't compile, etc.), I'll do my best to try to answer them. All of this can be scripted, but the general GUI flow is as follows:
  • - Open up ModelSim from within the modelsim directory of the bladeRF platform
    - Run the compile.do script by typing "do compile.do" in the ModelSim console (transcript window).
    • This will compile all the dependent files into the appropriate libraries and elaborate the design.
    - Add signals to the waveform viewer.
    - Run the simulation; "run 500 us" will simulate 500 microseconds of time. You may need more or less depending on what you're trying to evaluate.
The simulation/nios_system.vhd file mentioned is just a quick model file we wrote so we can easily simulate the top-level HDL without having the actual guts of the Nios core in there. You can simulate the Nios core in ModelSim if you want. You may find it easier to load it onto the bladeRF and use the JTAG debugger to set breakpoints and see what it's doing at various points in time. It's up to you. Most of the time, the Nios stuff doesn't change, so we opted for faster simulation times and just use that basic model.

If you don't have one already, I highly recommend getting a Terasic USB Blaster so you can use SignalTap to debug the FPGA design in hardware. It really is an invaluable debugging tool, especially for those edge cases you may not have considered in simulation!
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
ca2devri

Post by ca2devri »

Awesome, thank you!
ifrasch

Post by ifrasch »

I'd just like to add that some files need to be tweaked before the compile.do script actually compiles the code without errors. Specifically, nuand.do and nios_system.vhd are missing a few lines of code:

1) Add the following to the end of the entity declaration in hdl/fpga/ip/altera/nios_system/simulation/nios_system.vhd.

Code: Select all

vctcxo_tamer_tune_ref           :   in  std_logic;
    vctcxo_tamer_vctcxo_clock       :   in  std_logic;
    tx_trigger_ctl_in_port          :   in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    tx_trigger_ctl_out_port         :   out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    rx_trigger_ctl_in_port          :   in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    rx_trigger_ctl_out_port         :   out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0)
Don't forget to also place a semicolon at the end of the line with the "xb_gpio_dir_export" port declaration.

2) Replace hdl/fpga/ip/nuand/nuand.do with the following (I added the missing modules)

Code: Select all

proc compile_nuand { root } {
    vlib nuand

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ../altera/tx_fifo/tx_fifo.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/constellation_mapper.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/sync_fifo.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/uart.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/cordic.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/nco.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/fsk_modulator.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/fsk_demodulator.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/uart.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/tan_table.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/iq_correction.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/synchronizer.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/reset_synchronizer.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/handshake.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/tb/handshake_tb.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/signal_processing_p.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/bit_stripper.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/fir_filter.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/atsc_tx.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./simulation/util.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/tb/fir_filter_tb.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/tb/atsc_tx_tb.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./simulation/fx3_model.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./simulation/lms6002d_model.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/lms6002d/vhdl/lms6002d.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/lms6002d/vhdl/tb/lms6002d_tb.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ../altera/rx_fifo/rx_fifo.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ../altera/tx_fifo/tx_fifo.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ../altera/rx_meta_fifo/rx_meta_fifo.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ../altera/tx_meta_fifo/tx_meta_fifo.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/fifo_reader.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/fifo_writer.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./simulation/sample_stream_tb.vhd]

vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./trigger/trigger.vhd]
    vcom -work nuand -2008 [file join $root ./synthesis/signal_generator.vhd]
}
Maybe I can put these changes in a pull request soon. I think they were just forgotten in the last update.
bglod

Post by bglod »

Good catch, ifrasch, thanks. Feel free to submit the PR at your convenience and we'll pull it in.
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
ca2devri

Post by ca2devri »

Quick update: I am now able to simulate just simple testbenches in ModelSim that I've started through the blade_rf project. What I do is this:

- put all my custom code into a module (that is inserted into the bladerf top level)
- create a testbench for that module
- launch modelsim from Quartus (this runs all necessary scripts and includes files needed to simulate with Altera IP)
- run simulations in ModelSim

So I am still not simulating the entire bladerf but I think it's enough for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Chris