BladeRF continuous sine signal generation

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
dapengge

BladeRF continuous sine signal generation

Post by dapengge »

Hi,

I would like to use BladeRF to send continuous sine signal.

I saw there are couple of methods to send sine signal. All of them use pre-generated signal file as samples. That is not what I want.

I would like to use BladeRF itself generating continuous sine signal, changing with time.

Does anyone have some ideas ?

Thanks !
bglod

Re: BladeRF continuous sine signal generation

Post by bglod »

I am not quite sure what, exactly, you are asking.

If you want just a tone that's at the carrier frequency, you can transmit I and Q with a value of 2047 over and over. If you want a tone that is offset from the carrier, you'd have to generate the I and Q samples such that, when repeated, will not have discontinuities. Then you transmit that sample set repeatedly. The sample set can be generated and saved off to a .csv to be repeatedly read by the bladeRF-cli. That is the easiest thing to do. You can also do this through MATLAB and bypass the file I/O, or using the libbladeRF C API in a custom C program.

If you want the bladeRF to just do this continuously without the host sending samples down, you'd have to modify the Nios or the HDL code to store these static I and Q values, and continuously transmit them. You would also have to modify the Nios or HDL to handle the tuning of the LMS so it outputs at the expected frequency.
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
dapengge

Re: BladeRF continuous sine signal generation

Post by dapengge »

Thanks.

I understand what you are saying and I will give it a try.