RX IQ data phase angles

Discussions related to modulation techniques, filtering, error correction and detection, wireless link layer implementations, etc
norsecode

RX IQ data phase angles

Post by norsecode »

Hi,

I am new at this and been searching the forum but can't seem to find any threads on this. Please point me to one if it exists.
I have generated IQ samples and using the bladeRF board to both transmit and receive.
I'm trying to create BPSK modulation, so I have fixed my IQ values at 500. So "0" is encoded as I=500, Q=0 and "1" is encoded as I=-500 and Q=0. Hope this is the correct way of thinking about it. My IQ files basically contain these entries (0x0F0F):

Code: Select all

500, 0
500, 0
500, 0
500, 0
-500, 0
-500, 0
-500, 0
-500, 0
500, 0

When I plot the magnitude and angle of the received samples I get this (pretty close to what I expect)

No, I'm trying to do the same in an FPGA and send the samples to the RF chip. I am getting something very different. Does the plot tell anyone here what might be wrong? As far as I can tell by sending 0xFFFF in one session and 0xFFF0 in another, the inner "ring" seems to present "0" and the outer ring "1".

I have tried to compare the registers between my custom setup and the BladeRF card and can't really find any big differences. Using different PAs and different charge pump currents ( I am using defaults). Have I misunderstood how to generate IQ samples?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.