[Dead] kb3gtn's bladeRF setup guide

Follow our development of DSP and SDR tutorials
pcharest

Re: kb3gtn's bladeRF setup guide

Post by pcharest »

Hello all,

I had a problem of bladerf driver not registering to the usb driver. To detect the problem, after connecting the device, you try

Code: Select all

ls /dev/blade*
If you see nothing, then you might have the same problem as I had. My kernel is older (3.0) and the function module_usb_driver does not work, although I did not get any compilation error. I modified the bladeRF.c driver source code.

Remove the line

module_usb_driver(bladerf_driver);
and replace with

static int __init bladerf_init(void)
{
    return usb_register(&bladerf_driver);
}
module_init(bladerf_init);

static void __exit bladerf_exit(void)
{
    usb_deregister(&bladerf_driver);
}
module_exit(bladerf_exit);
Recompile, reinstall and reload the driver. Unplug and plug the device. Then launch again

ls /dev/blade*
I can now see the device and it is accessible with the CLI. I hope it will help those with a similar problem to mine.
dk5ras

Re: kb3gtn's bladeRF setup guide

Post by dk5ras »

For me all this stuff does not fit. Got my BladeRF right now released from customs (paid 88.22 EUR tax!), downloaded and built the stuff from the git repo, even flashed the new firmware (whatever this is - the fx3 stuff?), but as a Linux beginner I have no clue about this kernel stuff. The folders mentioned here are non existent in my bladerf folder.

Btw., now my existing gr-osmosdr setup recognizes the bladerf package, but when trying to re-build gr-osmosdr it fails with some errors. So I am sure lots of things are missing.

What I have is an existing and working setup (built all from sources) with USRP1, Gnuradio 3.7, gqrx, OpenBTS, OS is Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Seems to be much more complicated to integrate the bladerf into this environment?!

Ralph.