Basic AM/FM transmitter in Simulink

Follow our development of DSP and SDR tutorials
wleonsal

Basic AM/FM transmitter in Simulink

Post by wleonsal »

Hello,

Does anybody have a working Simulink model that implements a basic AM or FM transmitter?

Thank you.
jynik

Re: Basic AM/FM transmitter in Simulink

Post by jynik »

Perhaps you could modify some of the RTL-SDR examples?

I haven't worked with these, but from the documentation and block diagrams, it seems like they'd be a good start...
wleonsal

Post by wleonsal »

Thank you for the reply jyink.

The RTL-SDR examples are for a receiver. However, I am looking for a transmitter using Simulink and the bladeRF.
I've been following the Simulink examples for the USRP, which can be found here: http://www.mathworks.com/help/supportpk ... k-examples.

However, even with a very simple AM transmitter the spectrum produced by the bladeRF is very "noisy" and "choppy". Here is the Simulink model I am using as my transmitter:
am_tx_model.JPG
This is how the bladeRF sink block is being configured:
bladerf_config.JPG
Here is the configuration of the sinewave block:
sinewave_config.JPG
Any help or insight will be appreciated
Thank you
jynik

Post by jynik »

Perhaps try a lower sample rate as a test? What you're describing sounds like discontinuities the MATLAB sink is not keeping up...

For the same hardware configuration, you could try supplying your samples in a CSV format to the bladeRF-cli (using the tx config file=myfile.csv format=csv and tx start commands). You should definitely be able to run at that low of a sample rate.

If the above CLI test works, this would tell us that something about that MATLAB bladeRF sink needs debugging and improvement.
yoshimifuj

Post by yoshimifuj »

It's a simple narrow band FM transmitter with SimuLink (MATLAB 2015b).
Am I too late?