Access to FPGA

Follow our development of DSP and SDR tutorials

Moderator: robert.ghilduta

Konstantin

Re: Access to FPGA

Post by Konstantin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Jon,
Could you please tell me how to upload our new custom FPGA firmware and where i can find default FPGA firmware ?

jynik

Post by jynik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:38 am

You can find binaries here:
Custom FPGA bitstreams can be loaded manually via:

Code: Select all

bladeRF-cli -l <your bitstream.rbf>
Make sure you're removed any hostedx40/115.rbf files from the autoload locations.

Custom FX3 firmware can be written to flash:

Code: Select all

bladeRF-cli -f <your firmware.img>
# Reboot the platform for this to take effect

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:54 am

Hello Jon,
I have another question for you.if its possible to upload firmware.rbf to Altera using Quartus?

jynik

Post by jynik » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:41 am

Hi Konstantin,

Let's be careful with our nomenclature here to avoid getting confused (or confusing others):
  • Let's use "firmware" when talking about the FX3 firmware (the ARM code running on the USB 3.0 peripheral controller.)
  • We'll use "bitstream" when referring to the Cyclone IV (FPGA) configuration
Yes, it is possible to load FPGA bitstream in Quartus, using the Programmer under the Tools menu. You will need to purchase a Terasic Blaster to use this.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Jon,
Thanks,yes now i will use proper nomenclature.
I have altera usb blaster,this is also ok for load bitstream ?and one more question about jampers,I should change something in case with altera bitstream,because in case with FX3 we need to do it

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:46 am

And one more question,how to convert hostedx115-latest.rbf into hostedx115-latest.sof or other format which compatible with quartus for upload bitstream,or where i can find .sof or other programming format files

jynik

Post by jynik » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:00 pm

The rbf is generated from an sof file; I don't believe there's a way to work backwards.

The sof file will be in $BLADERF/hdl/quartus/work/output_files. It will be named hosted.sof. Reports and summaries are also in this directory.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:57 am

thanks Jon)I found it)

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 am

Hi Jon,
I faced with problem,how to add signaltap in FPGA bitstream,i follow by instructions which describe ho to build bitstream,but i also want to add signaltap,i typed this command "quartus_sh -t ../build.tcl -rev hosted -size 115 -stp ../signaltap/debug_rx.stp" but its not working.Could you please clarify in details how to add signaltap in my bitstream ?because is not clear how to work with TalkBack
i put link with my terminal code
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/560 ... .48.49.png

bglod

Post by bglod » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Konstantin,

Looks like the script is looking for QIP files at /fpga/platforms/bladerf/bladerf.qip. Is this a valid path? It doesn't seem like it would be. This QIP file adds the necessary top-level VHDL files and settings to the Quartus project, without it, it wont work.

If you're doing something custom, you may have to edit the paths in the various build scripts to point to a valid bladerf.qip location. The bladerf.qip also calls other .qip files, so you'll have to make sure those paths are valid as well.

Let us know how this goes.
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.