How to use Two RX in osmocom

Follow our development of DSP and SDR tutorials
zhanlguy

How to use Two RX in osmocom

Post by zhanlguy »

I am trying to record dvbt signal by using bladerf.

Anyone knows how to use two RX channels? please in details

thanks
robert.ghilduta

Re: How to use Two RX in osmocom

Post by robert.ghilduta »

You need to double click the gr-osmosdr source block and in the "Device Arguments" field enter "bladerf=0,nchan=2" and scroll down a bit to "Num Channels" and select 2. Once you click "OK" you should see two output ports.
RolandCape

Post by RolandCape »

Yes, I'm looking for this as well. Thank a lot for the respond, Robert.
Best,
BennoTr

Post by BennoTr »

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I have also troubles to us two RX channels with the osmocom source block.

I set the Device Arguments to "bladerf=0,nchan=2" and Num Channels to 2. I also set Ch0: Frequency to 2404e6 and Ch1: Frequency to 2452e6, Bandwidth is set on both channels to 2e6 and the Sample Rate is 4e6.

But I get on both channels nearly the same signal and if I change the frequency of one channel the signal of the other channel is also affected.

What do I do wrong?

Thanks!
Jose.Amador95

Post by Jose.Amador95 »

Hi BennoTr! As far as I know, both channel pairs (TX1&TX2 and RX1&RX2) share the same LO, meaning that the mixer cannot be set to independent frequencies in a single direction. I may have read that this constraint is somewhat flexible up to ~50 MHz in other thread on this forum, but I'm not sure.
zhanlguy

Post by zhanlguy »

Hi all

Thank you for the reply.

My experiment device is BladeRF A9, which has two receiver connections named RX1 and RX2.

I can record the two channel signal in the same time, right now.

I am working on the experiment of Passive radar by using SDR that I need to collect the two channel signal in the same time.

However, the signal recorded in RX2 seems not right, so there must be some problem with it. Anyone can help to solve this problem?

Much appreciated.
zhanlguy

Post by zhanlguy »

robert.ghilduta wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:56 am You need to double click the gr-osmosdr source block and in the "Device Arguments" field enter "bladerf=0,nchan=2" and scroll down a bit to "Num Channels" and select 2. Once you click "OK" you should see two output ports.
Hi Robert

Thank you for the reply, I am wondering is there anyway, I can use osmocom_fft command to operate the two channel recording?
robertbaruch

Post by robertbaruch »

Is there a way to use on RX on one program, and another RX channel on a separate program - i.e. open two separate devices instances for each RX channel?
robert.ghilduta

Post by robert.ghilduta »

Unfortunately there is not due to a limitation of how USB devices function. The OS tends to only give one program an exclusive handle to the USB device. Out of curiosity, what would the use case be?