BladeRF xA4 not sensitive to L-band Satellite signals

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
albatross_v3

BladeRF xA4 not sensitive to L-band Satellite signals

Post by albatross_v3 »

Hello,
I recently got my hands on a bladeRF 2.0 micro xA4 for satellite reception. I went with the bladeRF because of its 12 bit resolution and high bandwidth for X-band purposes, which I intended to receive at a later date. For now I planned to receive L-band downlinks, however, upon testing my bladeRF, it appears that it is not very sensitive to L-band signals. That is, signals I tested between 1500MHz to 1700MHz are extremely weak. I tried different sample rates, different gain settings, different antenna ports etc.
I am a beginner with the bladeRF (and these forums) so it is likely I haven't set it up correctly, but it seems like my RTL-SDR performs much better than my bladeRF on L band. Attached is a PDF with screenshots of some signals I tested.
If anyone could please give me some information on how I can fix this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
I find it hard to believe a cheap RTL-SDR outperforms the bladeRF.

Here is the PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jQJxCR ... drive_link
[email protected]

Re: BladeRF xA4 not sensitive to L-band Satellite signals

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, I'm a bladeRF xA9 user, and I've been able to get very good sensitivity in the 400 MHz area, so I'm curious what might be going on with your setup. You don't mention what software you're running. Are you using gnuradio? If so what bladeRF blocks? Or running GQRX?
Also please indicate what sample rates and other parameters you've tried.
albatross_v3

Post by albatross_v3 »

I tried software such as Satdump or SDR++ with the same results. I did mess around with the gain, tried it at maximum, minimum, etc but to no avail. I also tried different sample rates and decimation but that didn't help either. I should also mention I tried different LNAs and power methods including USB to the LNA and dc block in between the SDR and LNA.
carterodell

Post by carterodell »

My experience with bladeRF xA9 has been excellent in the 400 MHz range, so I'm wondering what could be causing this issue for you. It is not specified which program you are using. Have you installed gnuradio? If such is the case, which bladeRF blocks are there? Alternatively, are you using GQRX?