Transverter Board Installed, No Signal in via SDRConsole...

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
drbob

Transverter Board Installed, No Signal in via SDRConsole...

Post by drbob »

Ok, so we're off to a fine start... :oops:

I've installed the transverter board by plugging the units together (I note this because I wondered if there were any jumpers that need to be set/unset).
I've cabled RX out from the 115 to the RXIF on the transverter, and (for clarity) TX to TXIF. I've cabled TXFILT to TXFILT-ANT and RXFILT to RXFILT-ANT. Antenna to RXANT and a dummy load on the TXANT.

I've grabbed the latest FPGA (v0.0.5) and updated/upgraded firmware, etc., such that my version information now shows:

bladeRF-cli version: 0.10.3-git
libbladeRF version: 0.12.1-git

Firmware version: 1.6.1-git-b7e6642
FPGA version: 0.0.5

Next, I updated SDR Console to version 2.2 build 1735, and set the "Select Radio" function to cover 1-2800 MHz with a 20 MHz sample rate. Converter pull-down is blank (option: Manager) but this is where I was before, so I decided not to screw with it... :lol:

"Start"

Loads up and I see spectrum, but the signal levels are very low - I'm lucky to see a signal above -110, and that's a center-frequency spike (see picture). For fun, I try the FM broadcast band, figuring SOMETHING has to be there. Not so much.

I've surfed around the dial, hoping to see something that gives me a glimmer of hope, but my dreams have been shattered. Please note that prior to the install of the XB200 I was able to see/hear signals above 300 MHz.

So, the question is: What have I done wrong?

PS: The signal levels observed on-screen are the same whether the antenna is connected or not.
scancapecod

Re: Transverter Board Installed, No Signal in via SDRConsole

Post by scancapecod »

SDR-Console does not yet support the bladeRF below 300 MHz.

I too noticed attenuated signals when passing signals through the XB-200 while using SDR-Console. Until Simon gets it running I just went back to connecting the antenna in the normal manner. I'm guessing that the board is just not active and that signals may be attenuated through it as a result. But all of the signals I normally receive 300 MHz and up were present; just significantly enough weaker to make me think the above and disconnect the SMA jumpers.

There is a plug-in available for SDR# that, while a work in progress, is coming along nicely. It allowed me to tune and use the bladeRF down into the HF bands.

I know Simon was working on getting the transverter going yesterday (12 July) but I'm sure it's going to take some time to get it to a point where he's ready to release it to the hounds. :D

There are newer versions of bladerf-cli and libbladerf as well, and the firmware version is now at 1.7.
Scott
Webmaster - Scan New England
http://www.scan-ne.net
drbob

Post by drbob »

Hi Scott -

Thanks for the information. For awhile I thought I might be going crazy. :roll:

Well, I guess I'll jump into Linux for a bit and see what I can dredge up there. Can only hurt for a minute, right?

Bob
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

If you're interested in trying SDR# to get it going here's a link to my known working config:

http://www.scan-ne.net/bladerf/sdrsharp.zip

This version will only work through USB 2.0 though; I think I read that the writer made some updates today but I haven't had a chance to try them.
Scott
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Hi All,

I have quite a lot of work to do here, I expect to have the bladeRF working with the transverter inside two weeks, this will be a beta for the test team. Public betas are still ~ 6 weeks away or so. It's very likely that I'll be able to ship a new DLL which provides the bladeRF support, in which case public tests can start as soon as I've updated the code.

Based on what I've read there's no way the transverter will work until I update my code.
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Hi Simon,

Thanks very much. Also, for what it's worth, I know you have an established beta team, but if I can help with testing as another set of eyes I'd be glad to.
Scott
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Hi Scott,

To be honest I can test this myself - if I can seem 88 to 108MHz then I'm a happy bunny and I'll lay an egg (or something).

The difficult work is the transmission side.

Not easy.

Thinking about demanding money for that one :) .
scancapecod

Post by scancapecod »

Ah, I hadn't considered that you were working on the transmit side of things. Very cool. Using the bladeRF in that manner is indeed a project for me for down the road.

Well I can't find a donation button on your website and I've already quaffed several beers in your honor. That said I expect some would pay to see the egg laying part. :D

Thanks again for your efforts!
Scott
drbob

Post by drbob »

Simon -

I was unclear whether you were thinking of charging for laying that egg, or for functional transmit code. I'd be happy to pay either way, but I would require video for option A... :lol:

It seems like SDRConsole is one of the better, if not the best, packages available to do the job in the Windows World if you're looking for a "simple" I/O to get a usable system in short order. I think I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price to have a working package along those lines. If I want to experiment with complexity, then I end up dealing with GNU Radio to see how much I can hurt myself on any given day. (I'm constantly in serious pain... :cry: )

Just know that, even though I might tease you, you're much loved and your contributions are greatly appreciated.

Bob
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Bob,

I got on well last night despite a massive thunder & lightning storm which kicked out the electricity - I run the computers via a professional UPS. Maybe it'll be working today...

I will charge for TX support in my software - not a lot though. I may have 'honesty' licencing for the RX side.
drbob

Post by drbob »

I will be happy to write the check...
Serge911

Post by Serge911 »

Does happened any chantings with supporting of Transwerter board by SDR Console? SDR # is doesn't have some important options...
jump

Post by jump »

Do you mean that SDR# is missing some features or do you mean that the BladeRF plugin for SDR# is missing things?
In the latter case, please, open bugs for feature request on GitHub and I'll do my best to integrate them.
Serge911

Post by Serge911 »

Does someone know status of XB-200 supporting by new release of SDR Console V3?