SDR Education. Seeking user input.

Off topic threads and discussions
gaprice2354

SDR Education. Seeking user input.

Post by gaprice2354 »

Hello,

I am a graduate student who is attempting to develop material for a course in software radio. This course would be aimed at educating 1-20 students (senior,graduate, or professional training level) in the development of SDR systems, the utilization of SDR's as implementation targets for communication systems, and testing of systems using SDR.

I have read many articles on the subjects and own about 15 books on SDR, and have looked at what some Universities are offer for courses. So I'm not interested in being directed to those sources.

I am reaching out to the user community to see what you feel would be the necessary pieces for such a course. I have done a lot of work with this on my own, and really figured out how to do many things with SDR systems personally, academically and professionally, from scratch utilizing my basic Electrical Engineering background. Despite this, I feel there is a much broader point of view (i.e. this community) out there that I should look at. If you have the time please answer as many of the questions as you can.

1. What are key principles in the design or use of SDR?
2. Are there any topics you see lacking coverage in books, magazines, web, etc?
3. Have you taken a course in SDR. If so, what do you feel was missing from these courses?
4. Do you use SDR on a hobbyist, professional, or in an academic laboratory setting?
5. Do you have anything youd like to add?

Thanks for your time.
Montezuma

Re: SDR Education. Seeking user input.

Post by Montezuma »

Would you consider offering the course, the course materials(notes, slides, hardware(at cost for the user), and any other necessary information), any lectures for people to use and learn, at their own pace online? Even the course's printed information, slides, and course notes would be extremely useful.
gaprice2354

Re: SDR Education. Seeking user input.

Post by gaprice2354 »

Thanks for the interest.

Ideally, yes this would be the direction the course would go. Sort of an open distributable course which can help anyone out in getting started and quickly coming up to speed. Currently though im in the stage of defining and differentiating my material from what is currently available. When it is completed, this is one of the first places it will be accessible if people would like to see it.