FPGA Loading Problems with latest source on Windows

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
dsalomon

FPGA Loading Problems with latest source on Windows

Post by dsalomon »

Hi all -

I recompiled under Windows with current source downloaded today. Can no longer load the FPGA via the CLI. This happens on my board (x115) and a friend's board (x40). Previous source (compiled 9/13/13) worked fine.

Receive the following error message:

E:\Radio\Development\BladeRF\Windows\13-09-24>bladerf-cli -l hostedx115.rbf
[INFO] Using libusb version 1.0.16.10774
[INFO] Found a bladeRF
[INFO] Claimed all inferfaces successfully
[ERROR] Failed to read page buffer at offset 0x00: LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE
[WARNING] Could not extract VCTCXO trim value
[ERROR] Failed to read page buffer at offset 0x00: LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE
[WARNING] Could not extract FPGA size
Loading fpga...
[INFO] Change to alternate interface 3
[ERROR] alt_setting issue: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Error: failed to load FPGA: File or device I/O failure
Could not load fpga
dsalomon

Re: FPGA Loading Problems with latest source on Windows

Post by dsalomon »

Problem fixed. A change was made that requires using the latest version of the FX3 image with the latest FPGA image in the current code. For those who are compiling from current code in Windows, you should:

1. Get the latest "firmware.img" and FPGA image (either the x40 or x115, depending on your board).
2. Use the CLI to flash the FX3 with the current "firmware.img".
3. Power cycle the BladeRF.
4. Use the CLI to load the FPGA as you would normally do.

By the way, there's a guy who has an automatic build set up for the latest "firmware.img" and FPGA images. His site has links to his most current compiled version: http://hoopycat.com/bladerf_builds/.
dk5ras

Re: FPGA Loading Problems with latest source on Windows

Post by dk5ras »

I took those files from this place, and I ended up in a deleted FX3, identifying as plain Cypress device. So I installed the FX3 SDK within Windows, as I know this stuff in general from the FX2 that I am flashing in my job all the time, but the FX3 looks a bit different anyway.

I managed to flash the latest FX3 image when choosing SPI flash, afterwards the unit identifies itself again as BladeRF, but still in Linux I can't load any FPGA image, it stops with an error.

This all was a quick and dirty lunch break job, then I had to stop it and go back to work :)

First I will crawl my backup for the old files I used, from those I know that they uesd to work, to restore an operating condition :)

If it concerns, I am using the BladeRF within a VMware machine, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, while the real machine runs with Windows 8. Up to now this has not been a problem...

Any ideas what there could have gone wrong?

Ralph.